Monday, August 30, 2010


I am a fan of all things homemade. This was not always the case, maybe because until the age of ten I was forced to wear homemade outfits by my mother with a tag proudly announcing it was “Homemade with LOVE”. A sure sign for bullying!

But these days’ arts, crafts are not only for your Grandma! Everything homemade is cool – particularly as mass produced items get looked down upon due to a perceived lack of individuality. I was recently in my element at The Auckland Arts and Crafts Fair -a true representation of all the talent we have locally. Gummy Bear pendants, old-fashioned plates with quotes painted on them, candles in teacups, handmade postcards were just some of the goodies on display. I walked away with a handmade journal, postcards and a nifty Alice in Wonderland bookmark.

Craft has also found a home online! The handmade markets are open 24/7.
Some of my favourite websites to find these unique goodies online include:
www.etsy.com
www.madeit.com.au

Luckily for me, I get to promote the Craft & Quilt Fair which will be in Hamilton on 10-12th September and Christchurch 17-19th September. The fair has over 50 exhibitions containing all things crafty including quilting! Quilting has definitely come back into fashion, but isn’t a talent I have mastered yet. Seeing images of the quilts that will be on display makes me realise just how talented these women – young and old - are and I’ll be sure to give it a go over the next few weeks!

No comments: